In Nevada, cities came and cities went during the first hundred years of her existance as a habitable area ... and such was the fate of Unionville, in Humboldt County.
Located about eighteen miles south of Imlay, a freight division point on the Southern Pacific Railroad east of Reno, Unionville was founded in 1862, as a mining town in Buena Vista Canyon. It is said that the original name of the town was "Dixie", since many of its residents were Confederate sympathizers - however, within a year, that tide had turned, and the "northerners" in the town changed the name to "Unionville". The town served as the capitol of Humboldt County from 1862 until 1872, when the county seat was moved to Winnemucca.
At its highest, Unionville numbered aproximately 1500 residents, had three stamp mills, two general stores, two restaurants, a livery stable, post office, telegraph office, a Methodist church (built at a cost of $2500.00), and a well-equipped newspaper, "The Humboldt Register".
Freemasonry came to Unionville with the organization of a Masonic Lodge Under Dispensation in November 1871, which was chartered in November of 1873. The new Lodge took its home in quarters above one of the general stores for some time, until the finances of the Lodge had improved to the point where they built a fine building of native stone, on the side of a hill, laid out due east and west and measuring 45 feet by 25 feet.
The membership of the Lodge grew somewhat, but the average number borne on the rolls was about twenty five ... and after the removal of the county seat in 1872, and the decline of mining in the area in the mid-1870's, the population of the town began to decrease, and the Lodge was forced to forfeit its charter in 1881. However, the name does live on - Lovelock, Nevada, on the banks of the Humboldt River, is now home to Humboldt Lodge #27.
(Return to Lodge List)