ELY LODGE NO. 29
Across the gulf of the past there comes to us the memory of men and women who were the Empire Builders of the West; memories of tales told by those who knew them in life; tales of their daring, of the hardships and privations they endured, of their indomitable courage, their triumph in conquering the desert, defeating the wilderness, and changing the countenance of a vast intermountain domain. Today their efforts appear in scattered ranches whose modern, peaceful homes nestle among tall trees; in broad spreading acres over which herds of well kept cattle graze; in the far reaching range lands which harbor bands of fatted sheep and range horses, while, as the panorama changes, large or small settlements are encountered whose modernized homes, business houses and public buildings bespeak prosperity, and mark the progress of the century.
Such a country is found in certain portions of Steptoe Valley, Nevada, and further on in portions of what is known as Robinson's Canyon which in the early (eighteen - ed.) seventies contained the infant settlements of Ruth, Keystone, Copper Flat, Reipe Town, Pilot Knob, Ely and Mineral City, from which these settlements bought their supplies, and where Henry and Fred Hilp, well known in the development of the district, conducted one of the largest mercantile stores in eastern Nevada.
Today, the settlement of Mineral City exists in memory only; sagebrush grows around it on the hillsides and in the flats just as it did in the 70's, and old dim trails lead to the site where once the small town stood. Pilot Knob has also long since passed into oblivion, and all that remains to mark the location of its few houses, are tiny mounds of earth overgrown with tumble weed, or long since overgrown with sagebrush and greasewood; but Ruth and Ely endure, their perpetuity and progress promoted and assured by the development of a huge copper industry which has brought wealth and prosperity to the surrounding territory. An industry which resulted from the discovery of copper ore on "The Star of the West" claims where the big steam shovel pit of the Nevada Copper Consolidated Corporation is now located.
The first actual development of copper in that locality on an extensive scale was performed by Edward Gray and David P. Bartley on the Ruth claims which they are said to have purchased from D. C. McDonald and Walter Ryerson.
There are two versions of how Ely received its name; one is that it was named for John Ely, one of the owners of the Richmond-Ely mine at Pioche, Nevada, who had assisted his friend, A. J. Underhill, afterwards intimately associated with the history of the town of Ely, and when Underhill assisted in laying out the townsite of Ely, he named the town for his friend: John Ely.
Another version has it that the town took its name from Smith Ely who financed a man by the name of Long in the construction of a small copper furnace in the early 80's, just west of the old town of Ely. This furnace was known as Ely furnace and operated until about 1888 or 1889 when it was taken over by the Chainman Mining Company.
The land on which Ely townsite is located was acquired by George Lamb in 1869, who held it until about 1875 or 1876 when he sold it to the late Senator H. A. Comins, who in turn disposed of it to a Mr. Aultman, head of the Aultman Mfg. Co. of Canton, Ohio. Aultman was one of the leading stockholders in the Canton Mining Company located near Ely; associated with him was a man by the name of Saxton, also a capitalist of Canton, Ohio, and the late president of the United States, William McKinley, who is said to have invested $80,000.00 in the Robinson district. President McKinley is said to have borrowed the money to invest in the mine from Mr. Aultman, giving as security twenty-six claims in Robinson canyon. During his presidential campaign, it is asserted that Mark Hanna, his lifetime friend, and wealthy capitalist, paid the indebtedness to Mr. Aultman, that Mr. McKinley might not be harassed in his presidential race.
In later years when the Aultman estate was divided, the land, later known as Ely townsite, which had been owned by Mr. Aultman during his lifetime, was sold to A. I. Campton and A. J. Underhill, who later sold his interest to W. G. Lyons, all of whom lived in Ely district. Campton later bought out Lyons, and realized a comfortable fortune from the sale of city lots in the townsite.
The mining claims in what is now called "The Ruth District," owned and operated by Edw. Gray and David P. Bartley, were later sold by these gentlemen to the Nevada Consolidated Copper Company which has developed what is said to be the ranking copper company in the United States, since it is allied with the Kennecott Copper Company and the Guggenheim mining interests.
With the development of the Ruth properties and the laying of the rails of the Nevada Northern Railroad company into Ely, a new era dawned for the district. And so,from a tiny settlement of a few houses, a small grocery and feed store at the mouth of Robinson canyon and sheltering not more than a dozen people, Ely has expanded until today it is a thriving town of many fine homes, substantial business houses, places of amusement, modern schools and churches, a commodious court house and a splendid federal building and post office.
With the promotion of the copper industry and the building of the mill and smelter at McGill to care for the output of the mines, came an influx of capital and labor from every section of the land, and a new era of prosperity began which continued until the disastrous depression which encircled the country in 1929, but from which Ely district gradually emerged to make for a better community, and to build on a firmer, more substantial basis.
In 1939, Ely and the surrounding territory was enjoying an intensive building program, and business conditions were by far the best that they had been in years. This was mainly due to the increasing world wide demand for copper products, but other mining interests in the district have likewise improved, and old workings which have laid idle for years have resumed operations, and are again producers.
As commercial, industrial, social and religious interests developed in Ely, so also was there built up a fine fraternal structure including The Knights of Pythias, The Loyal Order of Moose, The Eagles, The Benevolent and Protective Order Elks, the I. O. O. F. and the Masonic fraternity, all of which have had their bearing and influence in developing the intellectual and moral status of the community.
The history of Ely Lodge No. 29 is interwoven with the Masonry which for many years flourished in the old mining camps of Hamilton and Cherry Creek back in the '70's and '80's when silver was king, and untold treasure was being taken from virgin lodes, and when cities were being built upon the hills; cities rich in romance and glamour, typical of those times, and true to the traditions of all early mining camps.
There was also another factor which contributed ultimately to the establishment of Masonry in the Ely district, although it is so long ago that the present generation of the craft knows of it only as tradition; yet, as far back as 1881, when Thompson and West's history of Nevada was compiled and published, its pages contain the following reference: "In December, 1876, there were among the people who congregated in the vicinity of Ward, White Pine county, many Masons. It was seventy miles to the nearest lodge at Hamilton, and they therefore, decided to form themselves into a Masonic Association, which they did and have maintained the organization ever since. There were 40 organizing members. The number was increased to 52 but in 1880 there were only 20 Masons left to maintain the association. This association dispensed about $1,200.00 for charitable purposes and now has property valued at $100.00." No known Mason is living today who can confirm this statement, nor is there an old time resident who can recall the existence of such an association, while there are no records remaining of the deserted town of Ward which can throw any light on the subject. However, Ward was a town of some 1200 or 1500 people in its day, and unquestionably there were many among its residents who belonged to the craft; it is therefore, only reasonable to presume that a Masonic organization may have been effected.
However uncertain the existence of this organization may be, it is nevertheless true that when Ward finally ceased to be a producing camp and its residents migrated to other towns, many of its old timers moved to Ely, settled there, and in their descendants, gave to Masonry a splendid type of manhood.
The craft in Ely was long in effecting an organization. With the first permanent settlement made in 1891 at the junction of Robinson and Murray canyons, and the development of the mining industry in territory immediately adjoining, the town showed a steady growth and by 1900 there were said to be over 1200 people living in the district, among whom were many Masons, most of whom either held their membership in lodges in other states, or had joined the lodge at Cherry Creek, or had been members of White Pine Lodge No. 14 at Hamilton, Nevada, before that mining camp worked out its vast ore reserves and the town was practically abandoned.
The big fire which occurred in that old camp in 1873 which wrought such havoc in the business and residential sections of the town, and swept away the building which contained all the county records of White Pine county, was instrumental in changing the location of the county seat from Hamilton to Ely, although Hamilton continued to be recognized as the official capital of White Pine county for some time after the fire and made a valiant effort to regain its one rime prestige. In the exodus which followed the decline of mining activities, many Masons joined the throngs that sought new locations and came to Ely and settled in the town.
There being no Masonic lodge in Ely at the time, most of them demitted from the old lodge at Hamilton and found a home in Steptoe Lodge No. 24 at Cherry Creek.
In the meantime the brethren in and around Ely had stressed the need of organizing a local Masonic lodge. Ely was growing, and the smelter town of McGill gave promise of outdistancing Ely in time. There were quite a number of Masons in both places, and there was nothing to prevent the establishment of a new lodge in the county seat of White Pine county; accordingly, application was made to the Grand Lodge of Nevada for permission to organize a lodge under dispensation, which was granted and issued August 31, 1904.
Upon receipt of permission the lodge installed W. D. Campbell worshipful master; Jas. B. Orr, senior warden, and Geo. M. Campbell, junior warden. At the meeting of the Grand Lodge the following year, on June 14, 1905, Ely lodge was chartered and on Tuesday evening, August 15, 1905, after having received its charter, signed by M. W. G. M. Geo. Gillson, the M. W. Deputy Grand Master, Geo. F. Parker, instituted the lodge in Brown and Graham hall, installing Wm. D. Campbell, W. M.; Geo. F. Newman, S. W.; Geo. M. Campbell, J. W.; James H. Marriott, Treasurer; Henry A. Comins, Secretary; Chas. A. Walker, S. D.; Azariah C. House, J. D.; Horace Baker, S. S.; Chas. E. L. Bryant, J. S., and Albert Heusser, Tyler.
The Charter roll contained the names of 12 members, those signing in addition to the above named officers being, Angus McDonald and Jas. B. Orr.
For a number of years Masonic activities were carried on in Brown and Graham hall, but the need for more commodious quarters had long been recognized, and in the fall of 1908 the building at the end of east Aultman Street, known as the Shallanberger building, was secured. However, even though these quarters were well fitted for the use of sizable fraternal bodies, yet the property was rented property and the likelihood of the building being sold was ever present. Accordingly a movement was launched to purchase the Shallanberger property and a building committee, consisting of O. G. Bates, H. Wise and C. W. Torrence, was appointed to outline financial plans whereby the building could be purchased. The recommendations of this committee, which were accepted, called for individual subscriptions to the purchasing fund in amounts ranging from $50.00 up - permission being granted to liquidate the amount subscribed by monthly payments. Certificates were to be issued by the lodge to the member when payment in full was made, these certificates being redeemable, without interest, to the estate of the member at death.
Through the efforts of the committee, sufficient money was subscribed to acquire the property, with the result that with necessary alterations and additions, and with donations of station and other lodge furniture and fittings contributed by some of the members, Ely Lodge today is in possession of one of the best appointed and most convenient temples in the state.
During the prosperous days of Ely, the lodge flourished, the peak of its membership being attained in 1930, when its membership roll reflected the names of 251 members in good standing; it was during that year at the Grand Lodge session in Reno, that Past Master Wm. Overfelt of Ely No. 29, invited the Grand Lodge to hold its 1931 session in Ely. The invitation was graciously accepted, plans were made to give the distinguished officers and representatives a cordial and hearty welcome, and on June 11, 1931, at high twelve M. W. G. M. Wm. R. Adams, convened the 67th Annual Communication of the Grand Lodge of F. & A. M. of Nevada, in the Masonic temple at Ely. I quote from the Grand Lodge proceedings of that year: "Brother J. D. Wallace, Mayor of Fly, was introduced, and in concluding an address of welcome to the city, presented the G. M. with a ten pound copper key which, he said, would open anything in Ely but the jail."
Ely Lodge has enjoyed a steady, healthy growth most of its Masonic life. Before the lean years of 1930-1934 came upon it, its trestle board was filled with work, to complete which many special communications were called.
It has furnished from its membership men who have distinguished themselves in the affairs of the state, among whom H. A. Comins and A. J. Proctor represented White Pine county in the State Senate, and R. A. Baird, Dewey Simons and Frank Beverly in the Assembly.
It has given to our Grand Lodge the services of B. F. Coleman, who served as Grand Master of Masons in Nevada in 1915. It was the parent lodge of A. J. Haight, who demitted to Churchill lodge in Fallen, and became Grand Master in 1929 and last, but by no means least, it has furnished to the constituent lodges of Nevada the Grand Master, Harold R. Amens, whose enviable record expired with the ending of the 1934 communication.
The records of these distinguished Grand Masters need not be praised nor applauded, for they have erected in the hearts and minds of the membership of the Grand domain of Nevada, a record which will stand as a monument to their integrity, their ability and their excellent fellowship.
THE MOUNTAIN TOP MEETING
Held by Ely Lodge No. 29, Ely, Nevada
Masonic tradition informs us that "our ancient brethren held their meetings on high hills and in low vales." In keeping with that ancient custom, for many years it had been the desire of Ely Lodge No. 29 to hold a meeting on the top of one of the mountains adjacent to Ely. This desire grew from year to year but conditions did not warrant the undertaking; however, with the completion of mountain road projects made possible by government construction, danger from mountain travel was reduced to a minimum, and during the term of office of Worshipful Master Ralph W. Crosser, the movement was revived.
As early as April, 1935, rumors became rife that sometime during the summer, the mountain top meeting would be held. The prospect of holding such a gathering found favor among the brethren, and at a special meeting called by Worshipful Master Crosser in June, plans were made to consummate a hope of many years standing; permission for a special dispensation to hold such a meeting was asked for by Ely Lodge, and granted by Most Worshipful A. F. Aymar, Grand Master of Masons of Nevada, and early in July the following committees to conduct the affair were appointed, namely: Banquet, Transportation, Location, and Invitation. It was decided to ask the past masters of the lodge to take charge of the meeting and confer the work of the Third degree of fellowcraft on Thomas A. Smith, he being entitled to receive the same.
After some considerable effort, the location committee decided on holding the meeting on a small plateau located near Success Mine, at an elevation of nine thousand feet above sea level.
Faithfully the several committees worked out their plans, resulting in the selection of Thursday night, July 25, 1935, for the momentous occasion.
Invitations were sent out to surrounding lodges to be present, to past grand lodge officers, and to visiting members from other jurisdictions located in and around Ely.
The past masters appointed to conduct the ceremonies felt the urge of Masonic inspiration, and met to coordinate the work appointed to them; no one shirked his responsibilities, with the result that it was prophesied that the gathering would be an unparalleled success, and go down in the annals of Ely Lodge as one of the most enjoyable, successful and impressive meetings ever attempted by the brethren.
And so the important day arrived. Early in the morning delegations from the various committees gravitated toward the selected spot to complete arrangements for the evening's meet; by five o'clock P.M. cars containing guests and members began to arrive. The buffet lunch was to be served at six o'clock, by which hour more than one hundred members and guests had assembled. The Pioche and Caliente delegation were late in arriving, but reached the grounds shortly after the major portion of the crowd had been served and seated.
A tempting and delicious lunch was handed out to the brethren, made more appetizing by the long ride over the winding mountain road, the keen, pure air, and more or less physical exertion after arrival.
Plans had been made for the seating of one hundred Masons, but long before this number had been served, it was realized that at least one hundred and fifty members and guests were on the ground and must be fed; the committee, however, was equal to the occasion, and all were finally seated and served.
Immediately following the repast, the brethren adjourned to the spot selected for the opening of the lodge and the conferring of the degree. Some time was spent in inspecting the splendid work of the location committee, enjoying the magnificent view from this unusual height, and in picking out positions of advantage to listen to and view the work, as well as to await any belated brother who might have been detained.
Words of approval for the judgment of the committee which had selected this spot, were freely voiced by every member present, and deservedly so, for, with the able assistance to the committee by Brother George Larson, superintendent of the forest department in this district, the grounds were appropriately arranged in natural settings.
Stations and altars had been built up of native rock, the grounds leveled and cleared of shrubs and mountain vegetation, and enclosed with fallen logs of pine and balsam to serve as seats for the gathering. Nature had already provided natural canopies for the stations of the master and wardens, in the shape of stately pine and mahogany trees appropriately growing in the Masonic east, west and south.
The plateau commanded an imposing and inspiring view of towering peaks and rolling hills, while vistas of verdant canyons, covered with mighty trees and flower decked slopes, swept down toward the valleys far below. Stately pine and cone shaped balsam trees, fringed the spot selected by the committee for the Masonic rites, while winding up from camp grounds improved by the forest service department, a rocky, tortuous path led to the meeting grounds through a grove of quaking aspen trees. The distance was not great, but the climb was arduous, and hard for those not accustomed to severe physical exertion. But the brethren were amply repaid for their efforts when they arrived at their goal, for a more inspiring scene, nor a more appropriate setting could not have been selected.
Promptly at seven thirty o'clock the past masters assumed their stations with Wm. R. Overfelt as Worshipful Master, C. W. Torrence, Senior Warden; Dewey Simons, Junior Warden; Tom Jolly, Senior Deacon; Harry Evans, Junior Deacon; Douglass Wallace, Senior Steward; Chas. F. Green, Junior Steward; David MacLain, Marshal; David Bartley, Chaplain; Henry Marriott, Secretary, and Robert Baird, Tyler. Brothers George Doyle and Ernest Lindskog assisted later in the degree work.
It was an inspiring sight; at first the glow of a perfect sunset tinting the western sky with rainbow hues; then came the gathering twilight, the fading blue of a cloudless sky hung as a canopy above; the sigh of the night breezes among the stately pines and balsams, and one by one the stars appearing in the darkening dome of the heavens. Huge bonfires burned at the right and left of the enclosure, their reddish glow ringing the trees and rocks with a soft and mellow hue, the crackling boughs and sputtering embers adding a soothing music to the stir of the mountain breezes.
At the proper time, the candidate, hoodwinked and led by the stewards, was conducted up the winding path from the camp grounds below, taken to the preparation room, improvised for the occasion by the erection of an army tent at the left of the station of the senior warden, and there prepared for receiving the degree; then, under the "midnight blue" of the skies, studded with stars unutterably bright, the perambulation began.
We have witnessed the conferring of many third degrees, but never before, nor perhaps never again, will we look upon such an impressive, such a sublime conferring.
This was a solemn occasion; every eye was riveted on the unusual situation, every sound hushed except the voice of the worshipful master as he intoned the impressive ritualistic lines, assisted by his fellow officers, to which was added the necessary responses of the neophyte. Even the night breezes seemed to quiet for the occasion, and murmured only a gentle requiem among the pines and balsam, while the stars gleamed down a celestial blessing upon the almost sublime spectacle.
The second section of the work was conducted by Past Master Charles Gallagher as worshipful master, and Brother Timothy Whitmore substituting for Brother Tom Jolly as Senior Deacon. This spectacular and suggestive section was equally well conducted by the officers taking part, and amid those natural surroundings more certainly than is usual, conveyed its meaning and lesson alike to member and candidate. At the conclusion of the rites, the regular lecture having been dispensed with until it could be appropriately illustrated with lantern slides in the lodge room, the master's charge to the candidate was delivered by Past Grand Master H. R. Amens, and lodge was called from labor to refreshment.
During the recess P. M. Chas. Gallagher arranged the members in appropriate grouping, and took a flashlight picture of the gathering.
Called from refreshment to labor, the meeting was officered by the regular officers of Ely Lodge, closed in due Masonic form, and the long trek back home began.
It is interesting to note that during the progress of the meeting, at the suggestion of Brother George Larson, forest supervisor for this district, it was decided to give the location an appropriate name commensurate with Masonic tradition and history; the name to be selected to be properly recorded and recognized by both the Masonic fraternity and the forest service department, as the future official name for the location. Several commendable and appropriate names were suggested, resulting in the selection of "POINT LEBANON" as official. The place will be designated by proper markings installed by the Forest Service department.
Thus closed what was perhaps the most unique and unusual Masonic meeting ever held in Nevada. It is true that other mountain top meetings have been held by the fraternity in the state, but at present only two are recalled, those held by the Masonic brethren of Virginia City on the slope of Mount Davidson, the first in the fall of 1875 following the fire which leveled that mining camp, and, an anniversary meeting held on the same spot in September, 1932. At these meetings no degree work was performed, and it is not recorded that a like ceremony has heretofore been conferred literally "under the starry canopy of the heavens" by any other lodge in the state, Ely lodge therefore claims the distinction of being the first lodge in the state to hold a third degree ceremony on the mountain top.
However, whether or not this distinction is merited and just, the meeting of July 25th on Point Lebanon in no way fell short of its prophesied success and interest. It was a Masonic event which will never be forgotten by those fortunate enough to participate in its developments. Its memory will serve as a glorious inspiration to future lodge activities, while the recollection of its unsurpassed natural surroundings, and its sublime and solemn unfoldments, will link its members in closer unity, and draw them nearer to their Divine Creator.
DEDICATION OF MASONIC MONUMENT AT POINT LEBANON
Ely Lodge was host to the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Nevada, Saturday afternoon, August 27, 1938, the meeting being called as a preliminary to the dedication of Point Lebanon on Success Mountain summit, and climaxed the action of Ely Lodge No. 29, at a meeting held on the same site in July, 1935, when arrangements were made to erect a monument and plaque, and dedicate the spot to the purposes of Masonry.
This meeting marked the conclusion of a movement fostered by the lodge, and inaugurated through the efforts of Brother George Larson, division superintendent of Forestry for Ely district for many months, and an active and progressive member of the craft. It was at his suggestion that the spot selected by a Masonic committee which arranged for the mountain top meeting in July, 1935, be given a name, in line with Masonic traditions, and it was through his efforts that the spot was improved and converted into a suitable site where the meeting might be held; it was through his activities, also, that the monument was erected, and the plaque descriptive of, and commemorating the event was installed.
Due to his promotion with the U. S. Forestry Service, and his consequent removal to Ogden, Utah, to assume his new duties, he could not be present upon the occasion of the dedication of Point Lebanon, and the consecration of the monument, to participate in the outcome of his untiring efforts to bring the movement to a successful termination.
Promptly at two o'clock of the day appointed, Most Worshipful Elwood H. Beemer, Grand Master of Nevada Masons, called the meeting to order and Grand Lodge was opened in ample form in Ely lodge hall, and the following brethren appointed to occupy the various stations and places in the Grand Lodge Body, viz: Elwood H. Beemer, Grand Master; H. R. Amens as Deputy Grand Master; Don K. Stark as R. W. Senior Grand Warden; Wm. Overfelt as K. W. Junior Grand Warden; Ralph A. Hoy as Very Worshipful Treasurer; Henry Marriott, as Very Worshipful Grand Secretary; D. P. Bartley, as Very Reverend Grand Chaplain; Lawrence Huffer, as Worshipful Grand Senior Deacon; W. K. Fields as Worshipful Junior Grand Deacon; Thomas A. Smith, as Worshipful Grand Orator; Ralph Crosser, as Worshipful Grand Marshal; Wm. Merrill, as Worshipful Grand Bible Bearer; Wm. Maddaford, as Worshipful Grand Standard Bearer; Jack Curto, as Worshipful Grand Steward; George Doyle, as Worshipful Senior Grand Steward; J. K. Haupman, as Worshipful Junior Grand Steward; Timothy Whitmore, as Worshipful Grand Organist; Wm. Ireland, as Worshipful Grand Pursuivant; C. W. Torrence, Worshipful Grand Historian; A. H. Smith, Worshipful Grand Tyler.
After a short session, recess was declared to permit the Grand Body to make the trip to the mountain top to dedicate the hallowed spot.
The ceremony was attended by Masons from twenty different jurisdictions besides a large delegation from the local and adjoining lodges.
Point Lebanon is located on a high bluff overlooking Steptoe and Duck Creek valleys, and commands an inspiring and impressive view of the surrounding country, stretching away for miles. Across an evergreen glade rises the rock ribbed crest of Bald Knob, a protruding mass of sandstone, and a portion of age old Success Mountain. At the base of this rocky sentinel, a huge fire bowl is to constitute a unit of a juvenile retreat proposed by the citizens of Ely and McGill, with the assistance of the Nevada Consolidated Copper Corporation, and contemplates the establishment of a mountain sanctuary devoted to the entertainment and housing of the boys and girls of the district for both summer and winter games, at which also, the adult population may assemble for both summer and winter festivities. The spot is admirably fitted for the erection of such a project, and will become a mecca toward which not only the youth of the districts will gravitate, but will likewise be a popular resort for all classes entitled to its use, if present plans are put into execution.
The Forestry Department had recently improved the park, and contemplates the location of a new and shorter road by which to approach the Masonic monument. The erection of a clubhouse has also been proposed, which will constitute an assembly place for the wives and daughters of the Masonic brethren during any future gathering of the lodge in their open air lodge room at the Point.
These and other contemplated activities involving the use of the new monument, occupied the attention of the brethren before the dedication ceremonies were opened. At three forty-five o'clock p.m. the brethren wended their way through the quaking aspen grove which borders the approach to the open air lodge room, and climbed the boulder strewn path leading to the Masonic mecca above.
Since the meeting in July, 1935, at this location, marked improvements have been made in the area. The master's and wardens stations have been changed since that memorable occasion, and now occupy a true east, west and south position, and have been more carefully and securely erected. The ground enclosure has been leveled, and in the center of the plot an altar built of native rock and topped by a substantial cement slab which is united to the rock work of the altar, has been set up. Imbedded in cement on the upper side, is a copper plaque, made from metal taken from the adjacent mines, bearing this inscription: POINT LEBANON. DEDICATED A MASONIC MONUMENT by ELY LODGE NO. 29 F. & A. M. AUG. 27, 1938 A. D. 5938 A. L.
As the shadows lengthened over the plateau, where the lodge room had been cleared among the towering pines, the gavel of Most Worshipful Elwood H. Beemer called the craft from refreshment to labor, and the impressive dedication ceremonies of the Order claimed the attention of the gathering.
With the elements of Corn, Wine, and Oil, the spot was consecrated, and set aside for the usages of Masonry, and the diffusion of Masonic Light.
At the conclusion of the ceremony, Most Worshipful Elwood H. Beemer delivered an excellent and appropriate address appertaining to the Biblical chapters displayed on the altar of Masonry, at the opening of a Masonic lodge in the various degrees; his remarks were not only applicable, but bespoke a keen knowledge of Masonic lore and research, and conveyed a new meaning to those old but familiar verses, and brought a new significance of their meaning and intent, to the assembled brethren, many of whom had never interpreted, or had interpreted for them, these chapters from the Holy Bible.
Following the address of Most Worshipful Grand Master Beemer, a short social session was held, and appropriate remarks were made by local and visiting brethren, after which the Craft was called from labor to refreshment, and all repaired to the lower glen where a generous repast was served to more than one hundred twenty brethren.
As the shadows of night crept up the mountain side, and twilight settled over the summit, the brethren reluctantly departed for Ely, where they reassembled at Masonic headquarters, and where the Grand Lodge was called from refreshment to labor, and after a proclamation by the Grand Marshal, was duly closed by the Most Worshipful Grand Master in ample form.
Editor's note - the following pictures of Point Lebanon were supplied by MW David Guinan, who visited the site in the summer of 2002, and were not part of the original "History of Masonry in Nevada".
More on Point Lebanon may be found here.
(Return to Lodge List)
(to the next chapter)